Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY Shadow Shirts

Since we live in Michigan, it was a bit of a challenge to find FSU gear. So we took it upon ourselves to make our own! We used a method to create what I call Shadow Shirts.

Materials needed
Garment/s, freezer paper, tape, cutting tool, iron, spray bottle, bleach, cardboard and/or newspaper

Step 1: find your garment! 100% cotton, non-textured fabrics work best. We used Hanes sweatshirts at Halloween with great success. Be sure to wash and dry it first!

Step 2: create your design! For this, I simply went onto google images and searched for free artwork that I could use. I copied the chosen designs into a program where I could manipulate their size (I used Publisher, for example) and then printed them on regular computer paper.

Step 3: grab some freezer paper at the grocery store. It's like wax paper, but is only coated on one side. With the wax side down, tape your printed design page to the freezer paper. Then, very carefully, use scissors or an exacto-knife to cut out your design.

Step 4: iron your design to your fabric. Use a high heat, no steam setting. I like to put a lightweight towel on top to protect the fabric.


Step 5: shove some cardboard or newspaper up into your garment to protect the back side and lay it down on a flat surface (like your garge or driveway-lined with newspaper or something).

Step 6: fill a spray bottle with 1/2 water, 1/2 bleach.

Stand back and aim around your design! Pull the trigger and have fun! Let the garment sit for around 10 minutes (or until you have the desired effect).

Immediately wash your garment/s to remove any excess bleach. Have fun getting creative! (And go Noles!)

Notes:
1. Textured shirt (on left) did not work well - the bleach bled. Boo!
2. Hanging in the shower also didn't work that well - we didn't put anything inside the shirts because   were hanging and te spray bled through to the back. Just had to improvise with a little spritzes on the back!
3. The FSU Seminoles won the National Championship. We credit it to our shirts. Ha! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment