I think we decided that our "birth plan" will be to try and go without medications. I know it sounds crazy, and everyone says to just go for the epidural, but I've discovered better reasons than "I'm terrified of the epidural itself" to try to avoid having it. 1.) Once in place, you are confined to bed. I am an antsy person. We both agree that I would probably benefit from being able to move around: walk, "slow dance," rock on a birthing ball or on my hands and knees, sit in the tub or shower. We think it would drive me nuts not being able to move around. 2.) An epidural can actually slow down the process of labor. 3.) In the birth video of the woman with the epidural, she had to ask if the baby had come out! I think I would rather feel it and know for a fact!
All that being said, we are fully aware that with a birth things don't often go according to "plan." So we are prepared to take it as it comes and modify our plan if need be. We'll see what happens!
On a side note, we've finally decided (perhaps a little late in the pregnancy) a nickname for Baby K, other than Baby K. We feel bad that we've called Baby K "it" so much, since we don't know if it's a boy or a girl. Today in the car, Mike pointed out that since this child seems to get the hiccups a ridiculous number of times throughout the day, we should call Baby K "Cupcake!" We always say we have "the cupcakes" when we have the hiccups! Hope this doesn't mean Cupcake will be a super-gassy child...

Epidurals are for pansies! Seriously though, those were the reasons that I opted to not do it, plus recovery is easier for you and baby.
ReplyDeleteCupcake! I thought you didn't want to nickname your child after a food item. I like it though....do you think it will last? By the way, will you be able to print this blog up as a book or anything? It's been fun to read!
ReplyDeleteGo Erin! Yay for natural births! I had an un-medicated birth with Alex, definitely worth it. Let me know if you every want to chat about it before Cupcake comes. :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, re: your mom's comment about printing the blog - yes you can! Here: http://blogspot.sharedbook.com/blog2print/googleblogger/index.html
Cupcake will be here so soon. Very exciting!!!!
Tips, Tricks, and Advice
ReplyDeleteYou're looking so beautiful! The belly sure has popped :) Can't wait to meet "Cupcake."
Swollen Feet/Engorged Breast(after birth) - Place cold cabbage leaves over swollen area. I'm not sure why it works, nor does the nurse that gave me this tip when I called from home complaining about my engorged breast and clogged milk glands. It really works!!!
Also, be sure take a few breaks throughout your day and elevate your feet to reduce swelling.
Snoring - I have the perfect remedy for this...send Mike to another room. Jim slept a many nights on the couch.
Backaches - use heating pads and kindly ask Mike to give it a rub :)
Hospital must haves - bring a travel-size bottle of your favorite hair conditioner (need I say more?).
Hospital menu - mom's food is covered in your bill so be sure to order extra food (two meals) for daddy too.
I totally support you in your decision to have a natural childbirth. I did it and I survived. It's an experience like no other and I would do it all over again.
xoxoxoxoxo
I just spent 10 minutes typing this and my computer freaked out, so here I am doing it again.
ReplyDeleteMy nurses decided pain meds for me. THey gave me nubain which dulled the contractions but I could still feel them, and I got a nap in as a result. If you have an epidural and end up needing a C-section, then you get general anesthesia, and you don't get to be awake for the C-section. Walk a lot when they let you.
Advice---make sure Mike packs an extra outfit, he may be there longer than anticipated (Dan didn't want to go home and stayed at the hospital with me 80% of the time).
You will want slippers and a robe of your own, and a few essentials (feminine items--the hospital locked them up and rationed them out, I would rather have had my own; underwear--they did the same with their magic underpants; and toiletries--hospital lotion sucks). I thought I would only be there 2 days but I had to stay 5, so there were things I wished I had more of (my own clothes). Baby blanket for when you go home, lanolin, and boppy all came in handy. Sports bras or nursing bras.
Other advice---sleep when the baby does. Dishes, laundry, cleaning will wait, but lack of sleep will creep up on you and that is the most imp0ortant thing.
Other advice---we put a sign on our front door asking people to knock or leave whatever they brought on the front steps in case we were sleeping and didn't want to be disturbed. We even suggested they call us on our cells to check ahead of time.
I will be in MI in July and would love to meet your Cupcake!
Sara
Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone! Mike and I might be the most prepared people ever to walk into the Family Birthing Center - I feel like we're going to look like we're moving in! Haha! Can't wait!
ReplyDelete