It sounded small and distant coming from the back bedroom.
"Mama."
Bedtime was late tonight - someone had finally fallen asleep for a nap at 6:00 and, despite our attempts to wake her an hour later, the nap lasted until about 8:00. Dinner ended at 9:00 and was followed by a shower. Of course, she was rather awake by that point and we were tired, so I decided to put on a movie to help reign her in. Surprisingly, she chose Disney's "Chimpanzee," which was just fine by me!
We made it about 45 minutes and, at an impeccably perfect black screen between night and morning in the movie, we turned it off and persuaded her to brush her teeth and hit the sack. I wa surprised once again when she didn't put up much of a fight!
A few kisses, bedtime prayer, tuck in, flashlight in hand, and bedtime was complete!
Until we heard it ten minutes later in the living room
"Mama."
Give it a few, just to see if it's a false alarm.
"Maaaama."
Okay, I cave.
"What do you need sweetie?"
"Mama, I need you to hold me."
Aaaaaand....I melted. My daughter is threw years old. There will come a day in, unfortunately, the not-to-distant future, when she probably won't want to be seen with me. She'll be too cool for a hug and kiss goodbye. Too embarrassed to hold my hand. Too big for me to hold on my lap.
So in true "I Love You For Always" fashion, I sat on her bed and held her like a baby, rocking back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth.
As long as I can, if that little girl asks me to hold her, I'll do whatever I can to stop what I'm doing and do just that. Now if only I could keep her little. And bottle up that feeling of her in my arms.
No comments:
Post a Comment